Easy Mac & Cheese
Nova Scotia, Canada
Who doesn’t love Mac and cheese? Outrageously cheesy and ultra creamy, the ultimate comfort food! Mac and cheese is one of those recipes that can take on so many different forms and honestly you can use any cheese combination you wish. I spotted this recipe on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and have made and enjoyed it many times over the years. The secret to me though is in the bake, which gives you the rich crunchy top and a ooey gooey, velvety inside. Once you’ve tasted homemade mac and cheese, you’ll be saying KD who? So let’s get to it friends.
- Large pot of water
- 1 tbsp kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup of butter, melted
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 16 oz shredded sharp Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bring water, salt, and oil to boil over high heat
- Add pasta, bring back to a boil and cook until Al dente, 8 to 9 minutes
- Drain pasta and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, evaporated milk, melted butter, salt and pepper
- Stir in 3/4 of the cheese and add the pasta
- Spray an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray and add the pasta mixture
- Top with remaining cheese and dust with paprika
Bake until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite BBQ sandwich, topped with crumbled bacon, chives or whatever you like.