Parmesan Garlic Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes
There are mashed potatoes, and then there are “Mashed Potatoes”. Browned butter mashed potatoes are in a realm of their own with an irresistible garlic and parmesan flavor. You haven’t lived until you’ve tried these potatoes with browned butter, so get your pots and pans out as these potatoes are the ultimate mashed potatoes you will fall in love with. Browned butter is like liquid gold, adding a deliciously fried nutty taste and aroma to anything, especially a classic mash. So let’s getting cooking!
- 3 pounds potatoes of your choice peeled
- 6 oz unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk or more if needed
- Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Boil in salted water until fork tender
- Heat butter in a small pan over medium-high heat
- When butter begins to foam, add the crushed garlic and reduce heat to medium
- Continuously stir and swirl the pan until the butter begins to change color
- It will turn golden brown with a nutty aroma
- Its normal to see crispy little brown bits at the bottom of the pan
- Remove immediately from heat and cool (Do not over cook as it will burn quickly)
- Drain potatoes and transfer them back to the pot
- Strain just over half of the browned butter over the boiled potatoes through a sieve
- Reserve crispy garlic pieces to serve later
- Add the parmesan cheese and milk
- Beat with a hand beater until smooth and creamy about 1-2 minutes
- Add extra milk if you like a thinner mashed potato consistency
- Taste test and season with more salt if needed.
Serve with reserved browned butter, extra parmesan cheese, chopped parsley and crispy garlic pieces. Do not over beat or mix or you’ll have a bowl of glue!