Blueberry Cake Extraordinaire
Nova Scotia, Canada
So you just got yourself some wild sweet Nova Scotia blueberries. What are you going to make? Well here’s an incredibly moist flavorful Blueberry Cake recipe I’ve had in the vault for a while, when accompanied with a smooth rich caramel sauce and a dollop of fresh vanilla cream, I defy you to say this hasn’t touched all those pleasures you are seeking in a dessert!
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries ( add an extra ½ cup blueberries to elevate even more)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan. I also like to use a 8 inch round spring form pan.
- Cream butter or margarine and 1/2 cup sugar until fluffy. Add salt and vanilla. Separate eggs and reserve the whites. Add egg yolks to the sugar mixture; beat until creamy.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and baking powder; add alternately with milk to egg yolk mixture. Coat berries with 1 tablespoon flour and add to batter.
- In a separate bowl, beat whites until soft peaks form. Add 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake for 50 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients in a small medium saucepan and simmer over low heat, whisking constantly or until thickened and no longer watery (6-9 min). Keep in mind it thickens more as it cools. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 2 weeks. You can re-warm it slightly to make it more drizzle-able.
Fresh Vanilla Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whip till light and fluffy.
Plate and serve with caramel sauce, whip cream and a garnish of sugar dusted frozen blueberries.