A Little Tomato Jam?
This sweet and tangy tomato jam recipe is a great way to use those fresh tomatoes of summer and enjoy all year round. Though in a pinch you can substitute a few cans of the best, “San Marzano’s of Italy” when fresh isn’t available. So easy to make is this jam and goes with everything. Especially on a great burger. This recipe is like bottling up all the flavor of summer tomatoes in concentrated spoonfuls. Well balanced mix of sweet tomatoes, tangy vinegar and savory spices will definitely hook you. So get cooking friends!
- 3½ lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place all ingredients in a dutch oven
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low
- Simmer until mixture is thickened like jam, almost 3 hours
- You can proceed to can this jam in a hot water bath at this point (follow safe canning procedures)
- Or simply divide the jam and store in the fridge for a few weeks.
Don’t be afraid to make jam! You don’t need to know how to can to make this sweet and tangy tomato jam.